We’re looking for someone with a passion for creating high quality children’s books in all genres, from board books to picture books to Early Readers, Chapter Books, Middle Grade, and Young Adult.
- Love children’s books and excellent design
- Have at least seven years’ recent book design experience, preferably in children’s books
- Have previous experience managing/leading designers
- Excel at conceptualizing, art directing illustrators, designing, and overseeing all stages of the design process
- Be self-motivated but enjoy working within a strong team, enjoy mentoring, be creative, and have expert knowledge of layout, typography, time-management, budgets, and the Adobe Creative Suite
- Have experience managing freelance designers and photographers
- Be able to identify and commission the best illustration for each book
- Have a strong portfolio of original graphic design examples showing creative and appropriate use of typography and layouts, with design ability ranging from traditional to contemporary to totally out-of-the box
A Little More about Us
Amazing Benefit Package:
- In addition to base salary we have a profit sharing program for all employees
- 3 health plan options
- Life, STD and LTD
- On-site cafeteria
- Great location with easy access to public transportation
- Free on-site gym
- Free Costco membership
- Summer Fridays off
Located just outside Chicago in Park Ridge, Illinois, Albert Whitman has been publishing award-winning children’s books for over 100 years! We publish The Boxcar Children books, fiction, non-fiction, humor, and fantasy, as well as books on history, diversity, and sensitive social issues–books that appeal to all children.
If you believe you would enjoy joining our dedicated and creative team, we’d like to hear from you. Please submit to email@example.com a cover letter explaining why you believe you are the ideal candidate for this position, along with your résumé, and links/attachments of your portfolio showcasing your amazing design work.