What do The Boxcar Children, The Girl with the Red Balloon and Mary Had a Little Lab all have in common?
Being an Art Director at Albert Whitman & Company
Albert Whitman is growing, and we need an Art Director to help us grow. We’re looking for someone with a passion for creating high quality children’s books in all genres, from board books to picture books to Early Readers, Chapter Books, Middle Grade, and Young Adult.
Love children’s books and excellent design
- Have at least seven years’ design experience, preferably in Trade as well as in the School and Library markets
- Have previous experience managing/leading an art team
- Excel at conceptualizing, art directing, designing, and overseeing all stages of the book production process
- Be self-motivated but enjoy working within a strong team, be creative and have expert knowledge of layout, typography, time-management, budgets, and the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, AcrobatPro)
- Have experience managing freelance designers and photographers
- Be able to work closely and effectively with illustrators.
A Little More about Us
Located just outside Chicago in Park Ridge, Illinois, Albert Whitman has been publishing award-winning children’s books since 1919. We publish fiction and non-fiction, humor, fantasy, and mysteries, as well as books on history, diversity, and sensitive social issues – books that appeal to all children.
We treat everyone – our employees, readers, authors, and illustrators – with respect.
If you believe you would enjoy joining our dedicated and creative team, we’d like to hear from you. Please submit a cover letter explaining why you believe you are the ideal candidate for this position, along with your resume and links to any relevant book design work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Marketing department accepts applications for internships on a semi-annual basis. Internships can be for credit or job training. ($12 per hour and/or credit for 10 hours per week)
The ideal candidate will be highly motivated and have a keen interest in marketing and books. Experience in online marketing and social media is preferred, though not necessarily required. A strong writing background and interest in publishing is required. Experience in advertising, publicity, or promotions is a plus. Preference will be given to candidates majoring in publishing, journalism, marketing, or public relations. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel is highly recommended. Experience with Emma, Constant Contact, or Mail Chimp is a bonus!
Projects and Responsibilities May Include:
- Assisting social media coordinator with networking accounts, assessing campaign metrics, and compiling results
- Researching metrics and site traffic to assist in building blog outreach lists
- Writing copy for advertisements, publicity pitches, retailer and wholesaler campaigns, blog posts, seasonal catalogs, and other outreach vehicles
- Working closely with Marketing Manager and Albert Whitman staff to form and execute PR strategies for social media, print, and electronic media outlets
- Working with authors and illustrators to enhance their social media presence
- Compiling marketing data and managing databases, including the Boxcar Children Fan Club database, trade show leads, and company newsletter list
- Conception, development, and implementation of effective marketing campaigns and strategies
- Management of a project from concept to completion
- Gain understanding of the book publishing process
- Gain understanding of the children’s book marketplace
Position is located in Park Ridge, IL (near many public transportation options, including Metra)
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
About the company
Albert Whitman & Company has been publishing award-winning children’s books since 1919. Best known for the classic series The Boxcar Children Mysteries, its highly praised picture books, novels and nonfiction titles succeed in delighting and reaching out to teens of all backgrounds and experiences. Albert Whitman’s special interest books treat their readers in caring and respectful manner, helping them grow intellectually and emotionally.