What do The Boxcar Children, The Girl with the Red Balloon and Mary Had a Little Lab all have in common?
Being an Art Director at Albert Whitman & Company
Albert Whitman is growing, and we need an Art Director to help us grow. We’re looking for someone with a passion for creating high quality children’s books in all genres, from board books to picture books to Early Readers, Chapter Books, Middle Grade, and Young Adult.
Love children’s books and excellent design
- Have at least seven years’ design experience, preferably in Trade as well as in the School and Library markets
- Have previous experience managing/leading an art team
- Excel at conceptualizing, art directing, designing, and overseeing all stages of the book production process
- Be self-motivated but enjoy working within a strong team, be creative and have expert knowledge of layout, typography, time-management, budgets, and the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, AcrobatPro)
- Have experience managing freelance designers and photographers
- Be able to work closely and effectively with illustrators.
A Little More about Us
Located just outside Chicago in Park Ridge, Illinois, Albert Whitman has been publishing award-winning children’s books since 1919. We publish fiction and non-fiction, humor, fantasy, and mysteries, as well as books on history, diversity, and sensitive social issues – books that appeal to all children.
We treat everyone – our employees, readers, authors, and illustrators – with respect.
If you believe you would enjoy joining our dedicated and creative team, we’d like to hear from you. Please submit a cover letter explaining why you believe you are the ideal candidate for this position, along with your resume and links to any relevant book design work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digital Sales Representative
Join our dynamic, creative, and collaborative sales and marketing team! The Albert Whitman & Company team is growing our digital presence and we’re looking for someone to manage our digital assets (ebooks and audio) and accounts. This is a newly created position which allows for growth both within the position and the organization.
What You’ll Do:
- Maintain all day-to-day responsibilities of digital sales:
- Serve as liaison with our ebook and audio distribution partners on all account-facing issues and concerns
- Sell digital material to existing customers and prospect for new accounts
- Coordinate pub date and specialty promotions, as well as list positioning within all accounts
- Create and present key title presentations
- Troubleshoot account-specific and data-specific issues
- Manage all ebook and audio data:
- Submit metadata for new titles and adjust backlist metadata when necessary
- Coordinate timely submission of files to ebook and audio distribution partners
- Oversee and direct all aspects of the backlist conversion process
- Update ebooks/audio (covers/internals) in coordination with changes to print book reprints
- Work with all departments within AW to ensure publishing practices, pricing policies, and content are positioned to maximize sales
- Perform market research:
- Run reports from sales systems for analysis and reporting
- Analyze digital trends and keep abreast of the changing digital landscape
- Time management breakdown:
- eBooks – 60-70% of your time
- Audio – 20%
- Other digital platforms as they present themselves – 10-20%
- MUST have eBook sales experience
- 5+ years’ experience in book publishing, media, or relevant industry required
- Self-motivated, hands on, and enthusiastic with exceptional communication and presentation skills
- High attention to detail in a deadline-driven environment with the ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Proven problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong initiative and judgment and able to work independently as well as in a collaborative/team environment
- Proficient in MS Office and Intermediate-to-advanced Excel skills
- Prior experience performing digital media market research and analyzing data
- Understanding of and interest in eBooks and digital publishing
A Little More About Us
Located just outside of Chicago in Park Ridge, Illinois, Albert Whitman & Company has been publishing award-winning children’s books since 1919. We are best known for the classic series the Boxcar Children® Mysteries. We have great respect for our fellow employees, readers, vendors, customers, and all those with whom we collaborate. We are passionate about books—we love what we do and we love who we work with. Are you the next member of our team? Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.