We’re looking for someone with a passion for creating high quality children’s books in all genres, from board books to picture books to Early Readers, Chapter Books, Middle Grade, and Young Adult.
We’re looking for someone who excels at:
- Design and layout of book jackets, covers, and interiors as well as marketing and related materials
- Researching and suggesting illustrators to the other designers and Publishing Director as needed
- Working closely with illustrators through bookmaking process
- Negotiating with illustrators and agents to keep books on schedule and on budget
- Managing multiple books simultaneously
- Checking artwork file quality, correcting errors, and ensuing final files to printers are accurate and on schedule
- Bringing sketches, color rough,s and final art to weekly Cover Meetings
- Have at least 2-3 years’ recent book design experience, preferably in children’s books
- Be self-motivated and enjoy working within a strong team, be creative, and have expert knowledge of layout, typography, time-management, budgets, and the Adobe Creative Suite
- Bachelor degree preferred
- Be able to identify and commission the best illustration for each book
- Have a strong portfolio of original graphic design examples showing creative and appropriate use of typography and layouts, with design ability ranging from traditional to contemporary to totally out-of-the box.
A Little More about Us
Amazing Benefit Package:
- In addition to base salary we have a profit sharing program for all employees
- 3 health plan options
- Life, STD and LTD
- On-site cafeteria
- Great location with easy access to public transportation
- Free on-site gym
- Free Costco Membership
- Summer Friday’s Off
Located just outside Chicago in Park Ridge, Illinois, Albert Whitman has been publishing award-winning children’s books for over 100 years! We publish The Boxcar Children books, fiction, non-fiction, humor, and fantasy, as well as books on history, diversity, and sensitive social issues – books that appeal to all children.
If you believe you would enjoy joining our dedicated and creative team, we’d like to hear from you. Please submit to email@example.com a cover letter explaining why you believe you are the ideal candidate for this position, along with your resume, and links/attachments of your portfolio (required) showcasing your amazing children design work.