When old Mr. Haktak digs up a curious brass pot in his garden, he has no idea what use it can be. On his way home, Mr. Haktak decides to carry his coin purse in the mysterious pot. But when Mrs. Haktak’s hairpin accidentally slips into the pot and she reaches in to retrieve it, the magic of the pot is revealed. Not only are there two hairpins inside, but there are also two purses!
- 1995-1996 Utah Children's Picture Book Award
- 1997-1998 Young Hoosier Book Award List (Indiana)
- 100 Picture Books Everyone Should Know, The New York Public Library
- Editors' Choice: Books for Youth 1993, Booklist
- Kaleidoscope, A Multicultural Booklist for Grades K-8, NCTE 1997