Maya loves contests, so she is excited when her teacher announces they will plant a school garden like Thomas Jefferson’s garden at Monticello—and they’ll have a “First Peas to the Table” contest, just like Jefferson and his neighbors had each spring. Maya plants her pea seeds with a secret head start—found in Jefferson’s Garden Book—and keeps careful notes in her garden journal. But her friend Shakayla has plans of her own for the contest.
- Best Children's Books of the Year 2013, Bank Street College
- 2013 Growing Good Kids - Excellence in Children's Literature Award
- 2013-2014 Macy's Multicultural Collection of Children's Literature
- 2012 Children's Agriculture Book of the Year, Nebraska Farm Bureau Federation
- 2016 Agriculture Book of the Year, American Farm Bureau Foundation