Disguised in servant’s clothes, an Afghani shah slips out of his palace to learn more about his people. When he encounters a poor Jewish shoemaker full of faith that everything will turn out just as it should, the shah grows curious. Vowing that no harm will befall the poor man, he decides to test that faith, only to find that the shoemaker’s cheerful optimism cannot be shaken. But the biggest challenge of the poor man’s life is yet to come!
- Best Children's Books of the Year 2013, Bank Street College
- 2013 Storytelling World Award
- A 2013 CBC/NCSS Notable Social Studies Trade Book for Young People
- 2013 Honor Book, South Asia Book Award for Children's and Young Adult Literature
- 2013 Sydney Taylor Honor Book for Older Readers
- NYPL 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing 2012