When a chance yard-sale purchase nets five boys a Willie Mays rookie card worth $4,000, their lives seem to narrow and intensify. The boys devise a “last man” contest—the winner gets the Mays card, and the losers get zip. Twelve-year-old Albert has a life-and-death reason for winning the card—and his own very special terrors aobut the abandoned mine where the boys have hidden it for safekeeping. Just how far is Albert willing to go to be the last man?
- 1997 Books for the Teen Age, New York Public Library
- 1999-2000 Volunteer State Book Award Master List (Tennessee)
- 1999-2000 Iowa Children's Choice Awards Master List
- 1999 Sasquatch Reading Award Master List (Washington)
- 1999 Utah Children's Book Award Master List
- 2001 Rebecca Caudill Young Readers' Book Award Master List (Illinois)