Part Time Social Media Coordinator – Children’s Books
Albert Whitman & Company is seeking a part-time (20 hours per week), Social Media Coordinator to maintain the company’s social media campaigns and platforms.
The ideal candidate will be highly motivated and have a keen interest in marketing and books, and children’s publishing, as well as online experience or an equivalent facility with social networking.
Projects and Responsibilities
- Work in concert with Albert Whitman Sales and Marketing staff to build out and manage a social media calendar.
- Managing social networking accounts with particular emphasis on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram and Pinterest.
- Building blog and website outreach lists and developing contacts
- Writing copy for advertisements, publicity pitches, retailer and wholesaler campaigns and authors
- Working closely with Albert Whitman Marketing Manager to form PR strategies, develop calendar and updates for all social media outlets
- Monitoring social networks for book and author metrics and influence
- Working with authors and illustrators to enhance their social media campaigns
- A strong writing background is preferred
- Experience in advertising/promotions or publicity a plus.
- Must have experience in utilizing social media metrics
Position is located in Park Ridge, IL (convenient to numerous public transportation options)
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Graphic Designer – Children’s Books
Albert Whitman & Company is seeking a talented, innovative, and detail-oriented Graphic Designer to join our creative team. The designer will create covers and interiors for our award-winning books as well as collaborate with our marketing team on campaign materials.
The Graphic Designer must have strong attention-to-detail skills, be deadline focused, possess fresh creative design ideas, and demonstrate an enthusiasm to learn. And, of course, the Graphic Designer should have a strong love for books!
- Design and manage several book projects per season, including cover/jacket and internal design with a focus on young adult, middle grade, chapter books, and picture books
- Manage layout and design of catalogs, newsletters, sell-sheets, and other marketing materials as needed
- Prepare final files for print vendors
- Assist with maintaining department and freelancer schedules
- Digitally color correct artwork as needed
- Provide administrative and design support as needed (file, scan, and route materials in-house)
- Assist with website upkeep and design
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum 3 – 5 years of design experience required, preferably in book design
- Strong typography skills, hand-drawn typography skills a plus
- Familiarity with designing for print and the web including brochures, publications, and publicity material, animated gifs and web ads
- Must demonstrate initiative, follow-through, and be able to work under and meet deadlines under pressure
- Solid understanding of production process and color correction of proofs
- Excellent organizational, written, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independent and as a team player with initiative, willingness to learn, and desire take on responsibilities
- Candidates MUST be proficient in a Mac environment using CS4–6 InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and MS Office.
- Must be capable of handling all types of media files (Dreamweaver, Flash, QuickTime, After Effects are an added bonus)
- Knowledge of ebook production a plus
- College degree or equivalent work experience in Graphic Design, Typography, Visual Communication, and/or illustration
Please send resume, a PDF of design samples (no more than 4MB) or a link to your design portfolio, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
Albert Whitman & Company has been publishing award-winning children’s books since 1919. We are best known for the classic series The Boxcar Children® Mysteries. Our highly praised picture books, novels, and nonfiction titles succeed in delighting and reaching out to children and teens of all backgrounds and experiences. We are also known for our special interest titles that address subjects such as disease, bullying, and emotions. All of our Albert Whitman books treat readers in a caring and respectful manner, helping them to grow intellectually and emotionally. Albert Whitman & Company publishes approximately seventy new titles per year and publishes a backlist of approximately eight hundred titles.