Albert Whitman & Company is currently searching for an experienced Production Editor to copyedit, proofread, and project manage quality children’s books for our award-winning list. We are looking for someone with impeccable attention to detail, stellar organization, strong copyediting skills, great communication skills, and, above all, a passion for children’s books.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Manage freelance copyeditors for outsourced projects, including scheduling and reviewing their work for accuracy
- Project manage books through the bookmaking process, working with other departments to keep production on schedule
- Copy edit, fact check, and proofread shorter manuscripts, including picture books
- Seek opportunities to improve and expand processes and department goals
- Read lots and lots of books and work with other people who love books!
What We Require:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in English, literature, or journalism
- Minimum 5 years of experience in publishing or related field
- Experience in copyediting and thorough familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style
- Excellent attention to detail, quality, process, and organization
- Ability to identify potential problems and resolve them before they become actual problems
- Ability to multitask, plan, and prioritize daily responsibilities
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
- Capable of learning new processes and technologies quickly
A Little More About Us
Albert Whitman & Company is an independent publisher that has been producing award-winning children’s books since 1919. Our mission is to delight and engage children and teens of all backgrounds and experiences.
Located just outside of Chicago in Park Ridge, Illinois, Albert Whitman & Company has been publishing award-winning children’s books since 1919. We are best known for the classic series the Boxcar Children® Mysteries, but all of our books treat their readers in a caring and respectful manner, helping them to grow intellectually and emotionally. We have great respect for our fellow employees, readers, authors, illustrators, opinion makers, vendors, customers, and all those with whom we collaborate. We are passionate about books—we love what we do and we love who we work with. We are dedicated to continuing our tradition of creating award-worthy books for children! Are you the next member of our team?
Albert Whitman & Company offers a full benefits package including Blue Cross Blue Shield medical insurance, dental insurance, 401k with contribution matching, a quarterly bonus program, gym membership, and a relocation allowance.
Applicants should send cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and a sample list of acquired titles and/or conceptualized projects to: firstname.lastname@example.org