Like so many people during the Great Depression of the 1930s, Marshall Loman’s dad has lost his job. There’s little money, but there are plenty of beans-in fact, Ma cooks them for supper every single night! Beans start looking better when Marshall sees the contest posted in the furniture store window. HOW MANY BEANS ARE IN THE JAR? WIN THIS BRAND NEW SEWING MACHINE! Ma needs that sewing machine-but how can Lomans possibly guess right? Then Marshall remembers something he learned in arithmetic class.
- 2010 BookLinks Lasting Connection
- CCBC Choices 2011
- NYPL 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing 2010
- Smithsonian Magazine 2010 Notable Books for Children
- 2012-2013 Show Me Readers Award Nominee List (Missouri)
- 2013 Arkansas Diamond Primary Book Award